6.23.2010

NADEC 2010 - First Day recap

Wow. Yesterday was emotionally draining... In a good way.


The first activity was much more personal for me than I had expected. On the way here I had decided that my goal for the week was to become more comfortable explaining how I got where I am and to be more of a whole person instead of this schizophrenic shift I do between the education fanatic, workaholic and the sensitive and chronically ill young adult. I paired up with an older gentleman named Ken who was at least very interested in what I had to say, if a little hard of hearing. I told him how my inspiration for getting into alternative schools actually happened in early high school when my homebound teacher Ms. Pat encouraged me to explore different ways of learning and to not settle for what was put in front of me.


Then we had to introduce our partner to the whole group. He recapped my story and provided a very heartfelt addition of "I think it's amazing that she is even here - this well educated woman who has accomplished so much despite having cystic fibrosis".


It was just too much to handle so quickly and I started to cry. Not tears of sadness or embarrassment, but genuine gratefulness for his eloquent and flattering introduction and everything I have in this world.


The rest of the day was up and down as I searched for nebulizer tubing, walked to the hotel to take my meds, chatted with housekeeping, met a couple of amazing people during downtime at the Free School, and got to know melissa and matt a lot better.


Today is all workshops, food, and a field trip to waterfalls from 4-6! So I'm not even minding only getting 6 hours of restless sleep.

No comments: