The link in the title is the website for the democratic free school I have been working to start with a group of fabulous people from ann arbor. The Little Lake Free School is currently trying to secure a space to rent so that we can open our doors this fall 2010. If anyone has any leads on this they would be much appreciated!
This project is where I want to be spending my time and energy. My goals of starting an alternative school/community have only solidified over the last year and I'm determined to make this work. I say this knowing the paragraph that follows will show my hatred for the world overrides any hope I have of this school succeeding.
The problem is making my dreams coincide with what I need to do to survive in this world of extreme capitalist individualism. I don't like it one bit and my cynicism is growing at an astounding rate lately. Insurance, jobs, legal mumbojumbo, doctors, the industrial food system, GLCEs, as;ldkfj;lkdj... just shoot me now. Is what we're doing enough? I know it's better than nothing and it's what keeps me going everyday - the little hope I have that I can create a place, however small, where community isn't defined by your tax area but by genuine love of the people around you. But can we truly create this space if we are bound by a society around us that expects compliance to the american dream - single family home, suv (still?!), and success that's measured by the size of your wallet.
This is why I get so upset when I get the response "sometimes you have to play by the rules in order to get to a place where you can break them". This is the mindset that keeps those rules there... that makes sure only a few can get to the place where those rules dont apply to them, while the rest of us must continue to struggle. I want to change it all. At least I'm part of the solution and not part of the problem. There's something to be said for that.
No comments:
Post a Comment